Are you a minority (woman, person of color, Millennial, LGBT) struggling to bring your best self to work and your communities? Do you lead the diversity efforts in your organization? Then you have workplace (and life) challenges others don’t!
A coach facilitates a client’s self-discovery through powerful questions and insightful feedback. Coaching is one of the best ways to (1) identify and hone your strengths, (2) develop your weaknesses, (3) create clear goals and (4) be accountable for taking action. There’s nothing better than a coach who “gets” you and your unique challenges to provide you the support, safety and self-awareness necessary to get unstuck and step into your brilliance!
My coaching clients comes to me with issues related to transition, challenge or stuckness. Through working with me, my clients gain clarity, confidence and direction in a life or work area that matters to them. I love watching my coachees transform into more empowered, authentic versions of themselves, equipped to also move human evolution by changing the systems around them, or helping others achieve excellence!
Coaching is also a highly effective follow up to my training sessions, allowing participants to practice new skills, work through personal barriers and deepen learning. Learn more about coaching and my style in my coaching FAQs, learn more about me in my bio, and read on!
Contact me now to schedule a free 30-minute “Breakthrough Session”!*
(Current clients, log into your dashboard here.)
My ideal clients want to…
- Find direction, clarity and movement forward
- Be more themselves — their authentic, best selves
- Find more satisfaction, fulfillment or success
- Gain confidence to believe in themselves and go bigger
- Make a change in themselves or their surroundings
- Have important or difficult conversations
- Better manage overwhelm
- Shift out of doubt, fear, confusion and indecisiveness
I coach my clients on…
- Navigating change or transition
- Overcoming a challenge
- Getting unstuck
- Making a decision
Through working with me, my clients gain…
- Greater clarity
- A feeling of being heard and validated
- A clear action plan & accountability
- More of their desired impact (on themselves and others)
My clients are often…
- Women, people of color, Millenials, LGBTQI and members of other marginalized demographic groups
- Change agents, warriors, teachers, healers and visionaries (wherever, and however defined!)
- Leaders overseeing diversity and inclusiveness change initiatives in their organization
Contact me now to schedule a free 30-minute “Breakthrough Session”!
My coaching clients say:
I’m now leading the way I always envisioned, because of the tools I learned from working with you. My team has gelled and I’m confident in their ability to handle our high-stakes projects while I’m out on leave. I even look forward to our staff meetings! Before, I was too polite and the team suffered. I used to worry about my every move and what people thought. Now I’m confident and don’t let bad behavior or my own frustration prevail! I also own more of the conversation with my boss and take the initiative with my peers in my areas of expertise – even though I’m the youngest leader. You coaching me has benefitted them in ways they’ll never know!
Your keen and supportive conversation has shifted mountains for me! I moved from feeling alone and sorry for myself to ignited and inspired – you are incredible at doing this! Your ability to see what’s needed to be said in the moment not only provided deep insight but I am now in action and miles away from the struggles I felt. Instead of pity for myself and ‘being stuck’ I’m determined to fail quickly and not make it mean anything about who I am or my abilities. ~ C.M.
Susana’s coaching has hugely impacted me in my own experience of clarity and authenticity, and amplified my ability to make the impact and create the results I want. She is highly intuitive, graceful in her skills and has a depth of experience, perspective and context to bring to the coaching situation. I highly recommend her as your coach to be better positioned to get the results you care about and are committed to. ~Primitivo Rojas-Cheatham
Susana’s experience enables her to get to the root of the matter quicklywithout you feeling shoved or pushed. She demonstrates superb listening and empathy skills to support your work. And she is clear that it is the client’s work. I was so happy that she followed up in a timely manner — that helped me keep myself accountable as well. ~Jillian Gonzales
Susana is very knowledgeable, compassionate and works from a social justice lens. She is also embodied, which I loved. After working with her, I felt connected to myself, in my body and able to access more of myself. I was able to write a compassionate and fierce email that was eventually received really well! ~Laura H.
Susana’s ability to explore one’s perspective and shift focus with resonant metaphors to gain deeper clarity through the call, along with key action questions left me with more value in 30 minutes than other coaching processes I’ve tried. Thank you Susana! You are an ignited leader, supporter and perspective clarifier. I’m making rapid shifts from your process and am now focused on the questions I want to answer in my life. ~Chris Montoya
Recommended! Susana was really personable and professional. She validated my insights and concerns, and was sure I left our conversation with some clear action items. She helped me articulate my concerns in a way that will help me communicate more effectively with my teammates, and identify some next steps that make me feel like my project is more manageable. I no longer feel as isolated knowing she is there to support me and I feel tremendous relief in the clarity I got from our short conversation. ~Nancy Loso
I enjoyed the ease of connection, the depth reached within a short period of time, the open and non-judgemental curiosity, the sense of empowerment I have from very tangible and relevant action steps. The reflections helped me to see my situation from a higher perspective, not from within my own experience. I have more understanding and empathy for myself, and am more accepting that what I am experiencing is valid and will pass. I am also feeling inspired to be more proactive and take things into my own hands where I have been giving power away. ~Kerstin G.
I felt well listened to and inspired by Susana’s reflections on my current situation and my desires for the future. I appreciate her intuitive, thoughtful and open nature. I look forward to her accompaniment in my process of creating the work life I envision! ~Sue Kuyper
You brought me back to what’s important in a nice way. You listened, were curious, and were there with me the whole time. I was mostly judging myself, but I didn’t feel judgment from you. You’re calm but energetic — a great balance!
- One-on-one coaching (in person, phone, video): 3 months, 6 months, 9 months or 1 year
- Short-term (<6 months) small group coaching
- Long-term (6+ months) small group coaching
- Year-long Learning Community (YLC): small group, facilitated capacity-building virtual workgroup consisting of (a) leaders or stakeholders from one organization, or (b) leaders from a variety of organizations or industries with similar goals
Diversity and Leadership Coaching in Organizations
I’m the rare coach that does diversity and leadership coaching. I specialize in equipping managers to be more effective leading “diverse” reports and teams, and communicating effectively across differences. I’m also skilled at facilitating excellence and effectiveness in those leading D&I (diversity and inclusiveness) efforts in their organizations, and also in employees or managers who are members of historically marginalized groups like women, people of color and younger professionals. Not only am I a Certified Professional Coach (learn more about that below) I’ve been there — I’ve lead teams of diverse individuals myself, and headed the D&I initiative at a major state organization. Read my bio for more information about my background related to diversity and leadership coaching.
A Certified Professional Coach
I am a Certified Professional Coach (CPC) through Leadership that Works’ Accredited Coach Training Program and an Associate Certified Coach (ACC), credentialed by the International Coach Federation (ICF). According to the 2014 ICF Global Consumer Awareness Study, clients who worked with an ICF Credential-holder were more likely to be satisfied with their coaching experience and recommend coaching to others, and 83% of coaching clients reported that it was important for coaches to hold a credential. Leadership That Works’ Coaching for Transformation program was an excellent fit for me, since it’s the only major coach training program that includes diversity and social change in its curriculum and core values. Discerning clients prefer to work with CPCs because we undergo extensive training and evaluation to be certified, and are held to the professional standards of the International Coach Federation (ICF) Code of Ethics. I’m also an active member of the ICF. Finally, I’m a licensed practitioner/coach in PRINT®, a breakthrough model of human motivation and behavior that was developed by The Paul Hertz Group. PRINT® is the best tool I’ve found to help clients understand what they truly want and why, identify their core strengths and weaknesses, and take action to create situations where they thrive.
Not sure if coaching is right for you or your organization?
Check out these resources to hear how coaching provides a huge return for coachees and organizations:
- Video testimonies from one organization about how coaching is making all the difference!
- Short article on Coaching in Organizations demonstrates how leaders reap the rewards of investing in coaching.
- Building a Coaching Culture research report shows how organizations that offer coaching see enhanced productivity, employee engagement and revenue growth.
- 2016 academic study comparing coaching and training showed coaching created a high degree of satisfaction and was better than group training in helping participants attaining their goals.
- 2006 study examining the business impact of executive coaching showed coaching produced intangible and monetary benefits for seven out of eight business impact areas and ROI of 689%!
- 2003 showing multiple benefits to nonprofits when EDs are coached, including improved confidence and leadership skills, and increased ability to address personnel issues, delegate, fundraise, work effectively with their Boards, and communicate.